Thursday, May 22, 2008

# 11 Entry_ St. ID: 20500297

Johnson & Johnson's Big Design Change*
J&J Chief Design Officer Chris Hacker is a man with a mission:
TO BRING SUSTAINABLE DESIGN TO CORPORATE AMERICA
                      
Familiar Brand, J & J
Probably most college students around my age would recognize its particular type of bottles, soft colors, and 'baby smells.' Johnson & Johnson approached to its customer with its own special design, its competitive advantage in a certain market.


Summary of this article
The author interviewd Chris Hacker, a cheif design offcer of Johnson & Johnson (JNJ). He is 57 years old, but still pursuing a creative life style. He grew up a hippie and was inspired to choose to be a designer after he experienced humanistic futurism at Expo '67, in Montreal. As Hacker became popular after a success at Aveda, J&J hired him for the fact that focusing on sustainable design might to profitable. It was basiclally JNJ's strategy. Before Hakcer came to JNJ, alsmo all of the company's design was outsourced from its home base but Hacker changed that! Hacker pointed out that designers should think about what motivates the consumer to take the product home. He hopes to change the way designes and corporations sustainability to create positive consumer experience.
                                   
How did the design change?
1) The apparently simple repackaging of J&J's flagship brand keeps the iconic teardrop but adds cleaner type and tinted bottles.

2) Big box stores considered brand-aid's previous bardboard bulk package to be forbidding. The new version features a set of interlocking plastic cases - and is now stocked by stores such as Costco.


My thoughts & Opinion
It's a summer internship season! I have applied for several companies and actually Johnson & Johnson medical is one of them. The very first reason why I applied is because most products of Johnson & Johnson have been familiar to me since I was young as I mentioned previously. When I think of J&J, the first thing that pops up in my head is J&J's baby lotion that I used to use in a childhood. For a baby segment, J&J's design strategy is using soft color and rounded shape. My mom always bought the pink one and it still remains in my head.
As we learned in class, design and packaging are significant in product selling and retailing. Developing a sustainable competitive advatange through new design and concept was J&J's strategy, which I think is a well-considered choice. Wheneve I work on project with my team members, I always emphasize that we should have something different from other groups, something that is innovative and creative we can have as a competitive advantage. Competitive advantage need to be sustainable or maintainable, applicable to the company, and approachable to the customer. In that content, it seems like J&J is doing a right thing, trying to give a impression to customers with new design and understanding customers' basic needs.


Annotation: Mark Lamster, Johnson & Johnson's Big Design Change, Journal. May 21, 2008

No comments: